Our Youth Program is an emotionally safe environment that supports individuality and empowerment.
Our goal is to empower, connect, and support active learning in the community who are interested in writing and connecting with like-minded individuals.
Interested in becoming a member of the Youth Program?
Creative Writing: Embracing Your Identity
Each school year (September – June), youth will have the option of working on their own project, which will be developed in the Youth Writers’ Circle.
To support this project, each youth will be offered an experiential learning opportunity. What follows are examples of what we have offered in the past:
- Connect with an established writer
- Pursue getting a media pass to a favourite event
- Get backstage passes at a concert
- Reach out to a Governor General Award recipient
- Go to an airfield to write a flight scene while sitting in a cockpit
Students are not limited to this list. What experience would best support YOUR piece?
Sent out to a national readership and hosted on our website.
Every youth has the opportunity to publish their piece
- Participate in the end-of-year book launch in the Artspace building
- Invite family, friends, teachers where each youth will read their work
Youth workshops in Manitoba schools.
Volunteer presentations in University English Departments, collaborate with our members, and utilize community advertising resources.
Youth Writers’ Circle
Peer-review based on principles of active and collaborative learning.
Students choose, explore, and teach topics as they design their own learning experience.
Competitive Writing Group
Our young writers will prepare a submission package that includes a cover letter, biographical statement, and a CV and support one another in submitting to literary journals and contests.
Become a Youth Member
Youth Memberships are only $10!